2 March 2020
Here’s the timeline of how the Coronavirus outbreak evolved from Wuhan city in China and spreading its tentacles across the world.
Indonesia reports first case
– Two Indonesian nationals have tested positive for Covid-19, the first cases in the country.
South Korea reports 476 additional cases
– KCDC has announced 476 new confirmed cases, taking the total to 4,212 with 22 deaths, including four announced today.
Disinfection professionals spray anti-septic solution against the coronavirus on Feb. 27 in Seoul. CHUNG SUNG-JUN/GETTY IMAGES
More cases reported in Algeria and Egypt
– Algeria has reported two more confirmed cases, which takes the country’s count to three.
– In a Facebook post, Egypt’s health ministry has announced the second confirmed cases of coronavirus. It was also reported that the first confirmed case has recovered from the virus.
Deaths cross 3,000 globally, confirmed cases cross 89,000
– The official death toll due to Covid-19 has crossed 3,000, as of the end of 1 March. The number of deaths in Mainland China stands at 2,912.
– The total confirmed cases worldwide has increased to more than 89,000 while recoveries cross 45,000.
– Mainland China reported 42 deaths and 204 new cases, as per daily breifing reports by NHC on 2 March.
France records total 130 cases
– French health officials said that the total cases in the country now reached 130, of which nine are in serious condition.
Cases in Norway reach 19; Finland cases at six
– With new cases reported, Norway’s total of positive Covid-19 cases reached 19, including five hospital workers.
– Finland confirmed four new cases, which bring the nation’s total to six.
Ecuador cases increase to six
– The total number of cases in Ecuador surged to six, with five new cases reported a day after the country reported its first case.
– All the five new patients are said to have had direct contact with the first case.
Bahrain says total cases grew to 47
– Bahrain health ministry confirmed six new coronavirus cases to total 47. The new patients are five Bahraini nationals and one Saudi citizen who arrived on indirect flights from Iran.
Mexico reports more cases; total five
– Mexican authorities reported additional positive cases of coronavirus, taking the total to five. All the five patients had a history of travelling to Italy.
Iran death toll rises by 11
– The death toll in Iran has increased to 54 with 11 new deaths reported. The total number of cases has also increased to 978.
Scotland records first case
– A man with previous travel history to Italy has tested positive in Scotland. This is the region’s first confirmed case of Covid-19.
– England has also reported 12 new confimed cases. The total cases in the UK stand at 36.
Qatar reports two additional cases
– Qatar Ministry of Public Health has reported two additional cases of Covid-19, taking the nation’s total to three.
– The confirmed cases are two citizens who were repatriated from Iran, and are under quarantine.
– Qatar imposed a temporary ban on entry of travellers coming from Egypt through intermediate points.
– In light of increasing cases of Covid-19, France has closed its Louvre Museum in Paris and South Korea has closed some churches.
Additional cases reported in Lebanon, Kuwait, Greece, Brazil and Pakistan
– Lebanon has confirmed additional cases of Covid-19, taking the total cases to ten.
– Kuwait announced one more case of coronavirus, bringing the total to 46.
– With three new cases, Greece has confirmed total seven cases. Two of the confirmed cases are related to the existing cases in the country while the other visited Italy in recent times.
– Brazil has confirmed the country’s second case of coronavirus – a patient who travelled to northern Italy.
– Pakistan has reported two more coronavirus cases in the country, bringing the total to four.
Dominican Republic, Armenia, Czech Republic and Ireland record first cases
– The Dominican Republic health officials have announced that a man who arrived from Italy has tested positive for the coronavirus.
– An Armenian national returning from Iran has tested positive, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan stated in a Facebook post.
– Czech Republic has confirmed its first three cases of the coronavirus – all three with travel history to northern Italy.
– Ireland has recorded its first Covid-19 case – a man who with a travel history to northern Italy.
Singapore records four additional cases
– Minstry of Health in Singapore has announced four additional cases of Covid-19, taking the total to 106. Additionally, the recoveries stand at 74, including the two recently discharged cases.
South Korea reports additional cases, one death
– The total cases in South Korea has increased by 210, taking the total to 3,736. The number of deaths in the country has also increased to 18, including one newly reported deaths, as per KCDC 1 March evening reports.
Italy cases and deaths continue to rise
– Italy’s Ministry of Health has announced that the total cases in the country has increased to 1,577.
– The deaths in the country has increased to 34 from the previous 29. Additionally, 83 people have recovered.
The US reports second death
– The US has reported a second death in King County, Washington. The deceased is a man in his 70s who is reported to have underlying health issues.
Death toll nears 3,000 worldwide, recoveries cross 42,000
– The number of deaths due to Covid-19 is more than 2,970, as of end of 29 February.
– The total number of cases increased to more than 86,500, with more 79,824 cases confirmed in Mainland China. The recoveries have also increased to more than 42,000 globally.
– Mainland China reported 573 new cases and 35 more deaths.
Iran reports nine new deaths
Iran has reported nine new deaths and 205 confirmed cases, taking the death toll to 43 and confirmed cases to 593.
South Korea reports 376 cases
– KCDC reports additional 376 cases, taking the total to 3,526 while the death toll stands at 17.
Australia and Thailand report first deaths
– A 78-year-old repatriated man from the Diamond Princess cruise ship has died in Australia, the country’s first death case. The total cases in the country stand at 27, including two new confirmed cases.
– Thailand also reported its first death, reported the Ministry of Public health. The deceased was a 35-year-old man who also suffered from dengue fever before testing positive for coronavirus. The total cases in Thailand stand at 42.
The US reports first death
– The US reported its first death; the deceased was in his 50s and was from Seattle, Washington. He was reported to have underlying health conditions.
– The US has also increased its travel restrictions South Korea, Iran and Italy due to the increasing number of cases in the countries.
New cases reported in Ecuador and Luxembourg
– Ecuador’s health minister stated that the country has recorded its first case of coronavirus.
– A man who arrived from Italy to Luxembourg has tested positive for Covid-19.
Total cases cross 1,000 in Italy
– Italy’s Civil Protection head Angelo Borrelli confirmed that the total confirmed cases increased to 1,128 with 29 deaths so far.
Qatar reports new case
– Qatar has confirmed its first case of Covid-19, a Qatari national who arrived from Iran recently. The patient is said to be stable.
First cases reported in Monaco, Mexico and Azerbaijan
– A man from Monaco has reported the first case of Covid-19. The man is admitted in a hospital in France.
– Mexico reported its first two cases in the country, one who tested positive and another who is awaiting test results. The second case is considered as confirmed.
– Azerbaijan has reported its first case of Covid-19. The patient was from Russia who arrived from Iran.
Romania, Denmark, Norway and Georgia report new cases
– Romania has reported two additional cases, bringing the total to three.
– Denmark confirmed its second coronavirus case, a man who returned from northern Italy.
– Three others have tested positive in Norway, taking the country’s total cases to four.
– Georgia has also recorded its second case of the virus. The woman a 31-years-old and travelled to Italy.
Singapore confirms four cases of coronavirus
– Singapore has reported four additional cases, taking the total to 102. Singapore’s Ministry of Health has added that it also discharged three cases.
– The total recovered cases in the country stands at 72.
South Korea reports additional cases; one death
– KCDC has announced 219 additional cases and one new death. The country’s death toll stands at 17 while the total cases are 3,150.
– Total cases in Iraq have increased to eight while cases in Lebanon stand at four.
– A man who arrived in Israel from Italy has tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total to seven in the country.
– Finland has reported that the country’s total now stands at three confirmed cases.
– Bahrain confirmed two cases of coronavirus, of which one is from Saudi Arabia. The total in Bahrain stands at 38.
Death toll increases to more than 2,900
– The death toll due to has increased to more than 2,900, as of the end of 28 February.
– The number of confirmed cases around the world have increased to more than 85,000, while recoveries stand at 39,000.
South Korea reports additional cases; three deaths
– South Korea reported another 594 cases, increasing the total cases to 2,931. Death toll reached 16, as per KCDC 29 February morning reports.
Singapore reports two additional cases
The total number of cases in Singapore has increased to 98, including the two new cases reported today.
– WHO has raised global coronavirus outbreak risk to ‘Very High’
Iran death toll reaches 34
– The Covid-19 death toll in Iran has increased to 34, a Health Ministry spokeswoman said. The total number of cases also inreased to 388.
US reports two cases of community spread
– The states of Oregon and California reported additional cases of community spread, which brings the total cases to 62.
France, Italy confirm additional cases
– France has confirmed additional 19 cases, taking the total to 57 cases, with two deaths so far.
– The total number of cases in Italy have increased to 888. The country also reported four new deaths, increasing the country’s death toll to 21.
Diamond Princess update: sixth death reported
– Another passenger, a man from the UK, who was on the Diamond Princess cruise ship has died. This is sixth Diamond Princess death.
UK reports one additional case
– England has announced an additional case. The total cases in the UK, including Northern Ireland and Wales, stand at 20.
South Korea reports 315 additional cases
– KCDC has announced 2,337 cases in the country, including 315 newly reported cases. The country’s death toll stands at 13.
Greece reports additional case
– Greece has reported an additional case of Covid-19, bringing the total to four. The patient is a 36-year-old Greek woman who arrived from northern Italy.
Cases in Croatia rise to five
– Two additional people in Croatia tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total to five. The newly infected were in close contact with the initial cases, noted the country’s health minister.
Kuwait confirms two new cases; total 45
– Kuwait has recorded two new cases in people who previously came into contact with Iran citizens. The total number of infections in the country now stands at 45.
The Netherlands reports second case
– The country has reported the second case in its capital Amsterdam. This patient is said to have no link to the first case.
UK cases rise to 19
– Wales has confirmed its first case in a patient who arrived from Northern Italy and England has reported two more, taking UK’s total to 19.
Dog tests positive for coronavirus in HK
– A Pomeranian has tested positive for the coronavirus in Hong Kong. The dog is said to have contracted the virus from its infected owner.
– The dog did not exhibit any symptoms and tested ‘weak positive’. It is currently under quarantine for 14 days.
Fifth Diamond Princess passenger dies
– Another passenger from the Diamond Princess cruise ship has died due to coronavirus.
– The patient was a Japanese woman in her 70s who tested positive on 6 February and confirmed to have pneumonia on 12 February.
Japan reports fifth death
– Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has announced the fifth death in the country due to coronavirus. The patient was a Japanese man in his 70s who was hospitalised on 6 February due to fever.
Malaysia reports two new cases; total 25
– The country confirmed two additional cases to total 25. Malaysia government imposed temporary restrictions on visitors from Korea.
Thailand reports one additional case
– Thailand health offical has stated that the country has reported its 41st coronvirus case. The patient had arrived from South Korea and was daignosed on 24 February.
UAE reports six additional cases
– The total cases in UAE have increased to 19, with six newly reported cases. Of the six cases, four are from Iran, one from Bahrain and one from China.
– The Iranians are said to have entered the country before UAE banned flights to and from Iran.
Western Australia registers second case
– A woman from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, who was evacuated last week has tested positive for Covid-19. This is the second case in WA and 24th in Australia.
Lithuania and Belarus report first case
– A woman returing from Verona in Italy has tested positive for coronavirus in Lithuania. This is the country’s first positive case.
– Belarus has also registered its first case of Covid-19.
NZ confirms first case; temporarily bans Iran travel
– New Zealand has announced the first case of Covid-19 in a person who arrived from Iran via Bali. NZ’s Ministry of Health has asked people on the same flight, to contact health authorities.
– NZ has restricted travel to Iran in light of increasing cases and deaths in the Middle Eastern country.
Nigeria reports first case
– An Italian man who arrived in Lagos, Nigeria this week, has tested positive for Covid-19, marking its first case in the country and Sub-Saharan region.
South Korea confirms 256 additional cases
– KCDC has reported 256 additional cases, taking the total to 2,022. The number of deaths in the country stand at 13, with no additional deaths, as of 28 February morning reports.
Death toll increases to more than 2,850 globally
– The Covid-19 death toll has increased to more than 2,850, as of the end of 27 February.
– The total number of infections has risen to around 83,300, with around 78,000 infections in Mainland China. Recoveries worldwide has crossed 36,000.