U.S. and South Korean troops utilizing the Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) and South Korea’s Hyunmoo II, fire missiles into the waters of the East Sea, off South Korea, July 5, 2017. South Korea has already developed the Hyunmoo III, but the Hyunmoo IV can only be made possible by President Donald Trump’s pledge to remove restrictions on South Korean ballistic missile payload.
Just in time for Halloween, 31 October, South Korea’s army said it’s looking to build a new monster missile capable of wiping out major North Korean political and military installations in the event of an all-out war between the belligerent neighbours.
South Korea first announced the idea after President Donald Trump pledged last month to remove restrictions on the U.S. ally’s missile payload, paving the way for bigger and stronger weapons at a time when tensions on the Korean Peninsula have escalated significantly.
In a report released Thursday, the South Korean army said the Hyunmoo IV surface-to-surface missile, dubbed “Frankenmissile” by South Korean media, would be used in combination with other surface-to-surface missiles and Hyunmoo-class intermediate-range missiles to inflict an “unbearable cost” to its nuclear-armed northern rival.
Washington and Seoul have reportedly reached a de-facto agreement to double this limit as Trump ups the pressure on his North Korea rival, Kim Jong Un. Kim has defied U.N. sanctions and overseen vast advancements in his country’s military capabilities since taking over in 2011, making the reclusive, militarized state a difficult target for even more advanced forces.
Trump has responded expanding the U.S.’s military presence in the Asia-Pacific and conducting military exercises with allies South Korea and Japan.
“We would use those three types of missiles as the first salvo of the missile strike and concentrate them during the initial phase of war to destroy North Korea’s long-range artillery units and missiles located in ballistic missile operating area,” the army said in a report to lawmakers, according to The Korea Herald.
Meanwhile a senior North Korean official has issued a stern warning to the world that it should take “literally” his country’s threat to test a nuclear weapon above ground.
Speaking on a visit to New York for the United Nations General Assembly last month, Ri Yong Ho, the foreign minister,[pictured above] raised the possibility that North Korea could test a powerful hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean in the days ahead.
The U.S. has now sent a 3rd aircraft carrier to the Pacific.