Police are seen outside one of the houses involved in counter-terrorism raids in Melbourne on Tuesday morning
AUSTRALIA: Twisted Terrorist Trio laugh and make faces as they are found guilty of plotting a major Christmas Day terrorist attack in the heart of Melbourne
NEWS Police have swooped in on three Victorian men after they were caught allegedly preparing an Islamic State-inspired terrorist attack in Melbourne, which officers say was being planned to “kill as many people as possible”.
Victoria Police confirmed today two of the men were brothers and all three of their Australian passports were cancelled earlier this year.
Victoria Police, the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) and other agencies worked together as part of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team to foil the group’s alleged plans, arresting the men this morning.
The three men, a 30-year-old from Dallas, a 26-year-old from Campbellfield and a 21-year-old from Greenvale, are expected to face court later today.
All three are Australian citizens of Turkish Muslim background and police said their wives and children were home when they were arrested.
“It’s our view that, while a specific location had not been finalised, there was a view towards a crowded place, a place where maximum people would be attending, to be able to kill, we allege, as maximum an amount of people as possible,” Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters.
Editor: Umm … How about Burke Street?
“I believe, over more recent days, attempts have been made to source a semiautomatic rifle to assist with the carrying-out of that terrorism event.”
A man claiming to be the father of two men charged over a terror plot in Melbourne says his sons are “good men” who wouldn’t even know how to use a weapon. (HAH!)
A young (how can they tell?) Muslim woman draped head-to-toe in a black burqa lashed out at people outside an alleged terrorist Ertunc Eriklioglu’s home as it was raided by police. ‘You guys are cockroaches,’ she yelled.
AFP Assistant Commissioner Ian McCartney said the three men were facing life in prison. “If we had not acted early in preventing this attack, we’ll allege the consequences would have been chilling, with the potential, as the commissioner stated, with a potential significant loss of human life,” he said.