Donald Trump vows to hit 52 Iranian targets if Iran retaliates after air strike that killed Qassem Soleimani
US President Donald Trump has threatened to hit 52 Iranian sites “very hard” if Iran attacks Americans or US assets after a drone strike that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani and an Iraqi militia leader.
- Mr Trump has not identified the 52 sites but warned they were important to Iran and Iranian culture
- The Iraqi Parliament is convening a session during which a vote to expel US troops could be taken as soon as Sunday
- Mourners carried the bodies of Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis through Baghdad’s Green Zone
Showing no signs of seeking to ease tensions raised by the strike he ordered that killed Soleimani and Iranian-backed Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis at Baghdad airport, Mr Trump issued a stern threat to Iran on Twitter.
Iran, Mr Trump wrote, “is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets” in response to Soleimani’s death.
Mr Trump said the United States has “targeted 52 Iranian sites” and that some were “at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD”.
“The USA wants no more threats!” Mr Trump said, adding that the 52 targets represented the 52 Americans who were held hostage in Iran for 444 days after being seized at the US embassy in Tehran in November 1979.
The US strike has raised the spectre of a wider conflict in the Middle East.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of people marched in Iraq to mourn the deaths of Soleimani and Muhandis.
Among the mourners in Iraq included many militiamen in uniform for whom they were heroes.
A procession organised by Iraq’s Popular Mobilisation Forces umbrella body of paramilitary groups carried the bodies of Soleimani and Muhandis, and those of others killed in the US strike, through Baghdad’s Green Zone.
The bodies of Soleimani and Muhandis will be taken to Shiite holy cities in Iran and Iraq respectively, before being buried.
On Saturday evening, a rocket fell inside Baghdad’s heavily-fortified Green Zone near the US Embassy, another hit the nearby Jadriya neighbourhood and two more rockets were fired at the Balad air base north of the city, but no-one was killed, the Iraqi military said in a statement. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Gholamali Abuhamzeh, a senior commander of the Revolutionary Guards, said Tehran would punish Americans “wherever they are in reach”, and raised the prospect of possible attacks on ships in the Gulf.
Iraq’s Kataib Hezbollah militia warned Iraqi security forces to stay away from US bases in Iraq, “by a distance not less than 1,000 metres starting Sunday evening,” reported Lebanese al-Mayadeen TV, which is close to Lebanon’s Hezbollah.
Mr Trump said on Friday that Soleimani had been plotting “imminent and sinister” attacks on American diplomats and military personnel.
Democrat party critics said the President’s action was reckless and risked more bloodshed in a dangerous region.
With security worries rising after Friday’s strike, the NATO alliance and a separate US-led mission suspended their programs to train Iraqi security and armed forces, officials said.
“The safety of our personnel in Iraq is paramount. We continue to take all precautions necessary,” acting NATO spokesman Dylan White said in a statement.
Iraq to vote on US troop presence
The United States has been an ally of the Iraqi Government since the 2003 US invasion to oust dictator Saddam Hussein, but Iraq has become more closely allied with Iran.
The Iraqi Parliament is convening an extraordinary session during which a vote to expel US troops could be taken as soon as Sunday.
Many Iraqis, including opponents of Soleimani, have expressed anger at the United States for killing the two men on Iraqi soil and possibly dragging their country into another conflict.
Raad said the United States “made an error” in targeting Soleimani and that they will recognize that in the coming days, the channel reported.
Tens of thousands march in Baghdad
Also Saturday, tens of thousands of people marched in Baghdad to mourn Soleimani and Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, killed in the same airstrike.
Muhandis was the deputy commander of Iraq’s Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) umbrella body of paramilitary groups.
An elaborate, PMF-organised procession carrying the bodies of Soleimani, Muhandis and other Iraqis killed in the U.S. strike took place in Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone.
Mourners included many militiamen in uniform for whom Muhandis and Soleimani were heroes. They waved Iraqi and militia flags. They also carried portraits of both men and plastered them on walls and armoured personnel carriers in the procession, and chanted, “No No Israel” and “No No America.”
Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi and Iraqi militia commander Hadi al-Amiri, a close Iran ally and the top candidate to succeed Muhandis, attended.
China: U.S. should stop ‘abusing’ use of force
The United States should stop abusing the use of force and seek solutions via dialogue, China‘s foreign minister said, after a U.S. air strike in Baghdad on Friday killed Iran’s most prominent military commander.
The risky behaviour of the U.S. military violates the basic norms of international relations and will worsen tensions and turbulence in the region, China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi told his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif on a phone call on Saturday.
China will play a constructive role in maintaining peace and security in the Middle East Gulf region, the Chinese foreign ministry said in a statement, citing Wang on the call.