When you think about disaster preparedness, keep in mind that a lot of cheap stuff we take for granted in today’s world will be extremely valuable and desirable after SHTF. This is the stuff you want to stock up on now. Not only will you need it for yourself and your family, you could also use it for bartering.
Here are just 40 examples of cheap items you’ll want to stock up on while they’re still available. I’m sure there are plenty more, so if you think of any, be sure to leave a comment below or on our Facebook page. Now on to the list…
1. Toilet Paper is pretty self-explanatory, unless you are fond of leaves and newspaper.
2. Hand Sanitizer will be very useful when water is in short supply and you need to keep your hands clean.
3. Soap is so cheap today that we tend to take it for granted. But when it’s gone, people will miss it badly. It is crucial to maintain cleanliness after the SHTF to keep diseases from spreading.
4. Lighters will be useful as well as an excellent barter item. Buy them in bulk and keep them on hand.
7. Kleenex or some tissues. You’ll continue to get colds or have allergy problems after the SHTF, and you don’t want snot everywhere or a raw nose.
8. Vitamins will help keep your immune system strong. Remember, most survival food isn’t very high in vitamins, and your body desperately needs vitamins to stay healthy. Especially Vitamin C.
10. Cigarettes may not be healthy, but after SHTF they are going to be in high demand. A single pack could be worth a great deal of supplies, and they actually have some survival uses.
11. Cheap Wine is easy to come by and will store forever. After fighting all day, a nice glass of wine will go a long way toward calming the nerves.
12. Bandages are only a few bucks for dozens of them. Buy lot so you can treat minor wounds without being stingy.
13. Ammunition is fairly inexpensive right now for certain kinds, so buy it while you still can. Folks who are looking for .22 will tell you the benefit of buying when it is plentiful and cheap.
( useful when rations run low to hunt for food)
14. Condiments like ketchup and mustard can sit on the shelves for a while and make an ordinary meal taste a lot better.
15. Spices like oregano, garlic powder, and the like will turn that bland soup or stew into a delicious meal.
16. Candy will be an excellent way to keep the kids happy and reward them for helping out during hard times. It’s fun for adults, too.
17. Lotion can help prevent cracked and chafed skin, which can become a serious problem if left untreated.
18. Chap Stick is more important than many people realize. When you are outside working in cold or windy weather, your lips will become chapped and it can be very painful. Plus, there are many other uses for chap stick.
19. Zip Lock Bags will be helpful to store leftover breads and other treats you make, or for keeping socks, tinder, small electronics, etc. dry.
20. OTC Medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen do expire eventually, but the first few years of a post-apocalyptic world will be a little easier if you have them.