Manhunt underway in Munich following shooting. Play!01:02
- Gunman in Munich opens fire at a McDonald’s by Olympia shopping centre
- Children targeted in attack
- Gunman killed himself after fleeing scene
- Gunman ‘probably’ acted alone
- He was 18-year-old with German and Iranian citizenship
- Munich attack: everything we know so far
Munich police gave a “cautious all clear” early on Saturday morning, more than seven hours after a gunman opened fire in a crowded shopping mall and at a nearby McDonald’s killing nine people and wounding at least 10 others in a rampage authorities called an act of terrorism.
A body found near the scene was that of the shooter and he appeared to have acted alone, officials said. (yet this screenshot below suspects 3 gunmen)
Witnesses had reported seeing three men with firearms near the Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall, but police said on Twitter that “as part of our manhunt we found a person who had killed himself – the person is likely to have been the attacker who, according to the current state of the investigation, acted alone.”
They lifted a shutdown of all public transport in the Bavarian capital, and said more details would be disclosed at a press conference later in the morning.
After gunfire broke out at the mall, one of Munich’s largest, the city sent a smartphone alert declaring an “emergency situation” and telling people to stay indoors, while all rail, subway and trolley service was halted in the city.
It was the third major act of violence against civilians in Western Europe in eight days. The previous attacks, in the French resort city of Nice and on a train in Bavaria, were claimed by the Islamic State group.
While police called the mall shooting an act of terrorism, they said they had “no indication” it involved Islamic extremism and at least one witness said he heard a shooter shout an anti-foreigner slur.
Video shows people fleeing from the scene, which has now been cordoned off, according to reports.
People run from scene of shooting in MunichPlay!00:32
Footage shows multiple emergency services at the scene.
Footage appears to show shooter open fire on people outside shopping mall in MunichPlay!00:25
Germany has been on high alert after a teenage asylum seeker attacked people with an axe on a train on Monday, injuring five.
Children injured, youths among the dead
The Munich police chief has stated that children are among the injured and the deceased included “youths”.
German media earlier reported a 15-year-old girl was shot dead by the gunman although that has not been confirmed.
18-year-old Iranian from Munich reported to be the gunman
An 18-year-old Iranian from Munich is thought to have been the gunman who shot nine dead and injured 10 others before killing himself, police said.
Munich police chief Hubertus Andraes said at a news conference that the attacker’s motive was still “fully unclear.”
“The perpetrator was an 18-year-old German-Iranian from Munich,” he said.
“The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear.”
Andraes said that the body of the shooter found about 2 1/2 hours after the attack was determined to be the shooter based on the evaluation of witness statements and closed circuit television.
Two others who fled the area quickly were investigated but had “nothing to do with the incident”.
All clear given by Munich police: suspect killed himself and was likely a lone gunman
Munich police have just announced that the suspected gunman is dead having killed himself.
They stated he “probably” acted alone, calming earlier fears there were three gunmen.
The all-clear was given for Munich city centre and public transport restarted shorted after 1am local time (midnight UK).
BREAKING: 10 dead including possible gunman
The death toll has risen to 10, German police have announced, including the possible gunman.
Explosives experts checking backpack of dead man
Explosive experts from the Munich police are examining a backpack found on a dead man suspected of being one of the assailants the shooting rampage, German DPA news agency reported.
The body of the man was found about one kilometre (0.6 miles) away from the mall where the shootings took place, DPA said, as police said they were hunting up to three gunmen still at large.
Austria steps up border security
AFP: Austria has “significantly” tightened security measures along its border with Germany and put an elite police force on high alert following the Munich mall attack, a government security chief said Friday.
Germany and Austria share hundreds of kilometres of frontier, including along the state of German Bavaria, where the attack occurred.
“Police have significantly increased security measures so they are poised and fully ready to act,” public security chief Konrad Kogler told state broadcaster ORF, without elaborating.
He added that 42 elite so-called “Cobra” officers have been dispatched to Munich to assist police in their hunt for gunmen who killed at least eight people in a shooting rampage at a shopping centre in Munich.
“The entire Cobra team has been placed on high alert so that they are ready to jump into action,” Kogler said.
He added there were “no concrete indications” of an imminent threat in Austria and the current terror threat level has not been increased.
The country has been on raised alert since last January’s deadly attack on the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly offices in Paris.
Munich newspaper evacuated after shots heard
We’re getting more detail on the evacuation of the offices of Abendzeitung, a local Munich newspaper.
Lukas Schauer, a reporter with the paper, said “shots heard in the courtyard… Crazy.”
At least 10 injured, police say
The police say their operation is ongoing, and at least 10 people are injured.
We are expecting another press conference soon.