Governor: Troops will focus on guarding command center

Published: 20 Aug 2014

Bob Unruh joined WND in 2006 after nearly three decades with the Associated Press, as well as several Upper Midwest newspapers, where he covered everything from legislative battles and sports to tornadoes and homicidal survivalists. He is also a photographer whose scenic work has been used commercially.


                       Police in Ferguson, Missouri, during a night of violence after the police shooting of a black teen.

After more than a week of nightly get-off-the-street orders and violence in Ferguson, Missouri, by protesters of the police shooting of black teenager Michael Brown, authorities are dropping their plan for a curfew.

Instead, the governor has instructed the National Guard units on duty there to protect police.

The move apparently will leave homeowners, shop owners and others wondering how to protect themselves as they brace for yet another round of violence Monday night. Over the past week, stores were looted, burned and vandalized as crowds rampaged in the wake of the police shooting.

Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat, said that while the National Guard was called in to Ferguson to keep order, its role will be limited to protecting the police command center.

“The guard will concentrate its resources on carrying out this limited mission,” the governor announced. “I join the people of Ferguson, and all Missourians, in strongly condemning the violent acts we saw (Sunday) night, including the firing upon law enforcement officers, the shooting of a civilian, the throwing of Molotov cocktails, looting and a coordinated attempt to overrun the unified command center.”

He said the investigations into the death of Michael Brown that have been going on since the Aug. 9 shooting must be allowed to continue.

In the meantime, the governor said authorities need to protect Ferguson from “violent interlopers” who have been rioting.

WND reported that when the riots first erupted, Mayor James Knowles said the worst perpetrators in Ferguson were from out of town.

An autopsy report released Monday concluded Brown was facing the officer when he was shot, contrary to the testimony of witnesses who claimed he was shot from behind. The report also indicated he had marijuana in his system.

Nixon signed an order Monday deploying the National Guard, citing the “deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property in Ferguson.”

Police also banned protesters from the QuikTrip store that was burned out after the violence erupted.

Meanwhile, Brown’s mother continues to insist on the arrest of the officer who fired the shots that killed her son.

Make “him accountable for his actions,” she said.

Sunday night, protesters brandished weapons as they faced off with police, who responded with tear gas. At least two people suffered gunshot wounds, and several others were arrested.

Schools remained closed Monday.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/national-guard-to-protect-ferguson-police/#TzwtmawkyGXPMiED.99