The main points of US President Donald Trump’s much-derided plan for the Middle East, the so-called “deal of the century,” were leaked by a Hebrew-language news outlet in Israel yesterday. Israel Hayom published the main points of the deal from a leaked document circulated by the Israeli Foreign Ministry.
See Article on this website published – 22 April 2019
The US has said it will reveal its deal after the Muslim month of fasting comes to an end in early June.
The main points of the agreement put together by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner – who has extensive interests in Israel and its settlements – and proposed by the US administration are as follows:
- A tripartite agreement will be signed between Israel, the PLO and Hamas, and a Palestinian state will be established that will be called “New Palestine” and will be established in the occupied West Bank and Gaza, with the exception of the settlements. Israel would release Palestinian prisoners gradually over the course of three years under the deal.
- The settlement blocs in the occupied West Bank, which are illegal under international law, would form part of Israel.
- Jerusalem will not be divided but is to be shared by Israel and the “New Palestine” with Israel maintaining general control.
- Palestinians living in Jerusalem would be citizens of the Palestinian state but Israel would remain in charge of the municipality and therefore the land. The newly formed Palestinian state would pay taxes to the Israeli municipality in order to be in charge of education in the city for Palestinians.
- The status quo at the holy sites will remain and Jewish Israelis will not be allowed to buy Palestinian houses and vice versa.
Partition of Jerusalem? Let my people in! – Cartoon [Sabaaneh/MiddleEastMonitor]
- Egypt will offer the new Palestinian state land to build an airport, factories and for agriculture which will service the Gaza Strip. Palestinians will not be permitted to live on this land.
- A highway would be built to connect the Gaza Strip to the West Bank 30 metres above Israel. Funding for the project will mainly come from China, which will pay 50 per cent of the cost, with South Korea, Australia, Canada, the US and EU each paying a ten per cent each.
The US, EU and Gulf states would fund and sponsor the deal for five years to establish the state of “New Palestine”, the leak claims.
This would be at a cost of $6 billion a year; the majority of which -70 per cent – would be paid by Gulf states, with the US contributing 20 per cent and the EU ten per cent.
When the Arab World sells the Holy City – Cartoon [Sabaaneh/MiddleEastMonitor]
- “New Palestine” would not be allowed to form an army but could maintain a police force. Instead, a defence agreement will be signed between Israel and the “New Palestine” in which Israel would defend the new state from any foreign attacks.
- Upon signing the agreement, Hamas will hand over all its weapons to Egypt. The movement’s leaders would be compensated and paid salaries by Arab states while a government is established.
- Elections are expected to be held within one year of the establishment of the “New Palestine” state.
- All borders between the Gaza Strip and Egypt and Israel would remain open to people and goods and Palestinians would be able to use Israeli air and seaports.
- “New Palestine” will have two crossings into Jordan, these will be under the control of the “New Palestine” authorities.
- The Jordan Valley will remain in Israel’s hands and a four-lane toll road will be built through it.
Some What Ifs?
- If Hamas or any Palestinian bodies refuse this deal, the US will cancel all of its financial support to the Palestinians and pressure other countries to do the same.
- If, on the other hand, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas signs the deal but Hamas and Islamic Jihad do not agree to it, a war would be waged on the Gaza Strip with the full backing of the US.
- However, if Israel refuses the deal the US would cease its financial support. The US currently pays $3.8 billion a year to support Israel.