- Boko Haram terrorists have killed 11 people and kidnapped a priest in Nigeria
- It is claimed armed men in trucks and on motorbikes stormed Primi village
- Primi is only a short distance from a village where 200 girls were kidnapped
- The terrorists looted food supplies and set fire to at least ten homes in the area
PUBLISHED: 05:20 AEDT, 26 December 2020 | UPDATED: 05:35 AEDT, 26 December 2020
Security agencies had in recent days warned of an increased risk of attack during the holiday season.
Fighters in trucks and motorcycles stormed Pemi, a predominantly Christian village in Borno state on Thursday, shooting ‘indiscriminately’ and setting buildings on fire, said Abwaku Kabu, a militia leader.+2
- Nigerian security forces have been on alert since an increase in activity of Boku Haram terrorists in the country
- Heavily-armed security forces have been protecting local communities from attack
‘The terrorists killed seven people, burnt 10 homes and looted food supplies that were meant to be distributed to residents to celebrate Christmas,’ Kabu said.
‘Four more dead bodies have been found in the nearby bushes by search and rescue volunteers,’ local community leader Ayuba Alamson said Friday. ‘This has moved the death toll to 11.’
The number of dead could rise as villagers fled to the bush and some people are still unaccounted for.
The assailants, who drove from the group’s nearby Sambisa forest enclave, looted medical supplies from a hospital before setting it ablaze, the militia leader said, adding they also burnt a church and abducted a priest.
The village is located only 12 miles from Chibok, where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls six years ago.
In a separate raid on Thursday, gunmen attacked another Christian community in Garkida in the neighbouring Adamawa state, looting drug stores and food supplies before torching homes, residents claimed.
There were no reports of casualties.
Nigeria’s security agency had earlier this week asked Nigerians ‘to be extra vigilant and report strange movements.’
President Muhammadu Buhari in a statement Thursday ‘reiterated the promise of his administration to remain unyielding in confronting the Boko Haram insurgency as well as other forms of criminality.’
The 78-year-old urged citizens to volunteer ‘intelligence/information on activities of armed bandits, insurgents and other criminal elements within their communities in order to put an end to this blight.’
The decade-long conflict in Nigeria’s northeast has killed 36,000 people and displaced around two million from their homes, according to the United Nations.
Violence has spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting regional countries to form a military coalition to fight the jihadist groups. ADVERTISEMENT